Letting Go on a Self-Driving Journey Through the Faroe Islands

Featured Image

Discovering the Faroe Islands Through a New Lens

When I picked up the keys to my rental car in the Faroe Islands, the agent handed me a contract that was unlike anything I had ever seen. Instead of clauses about mileage or insurance, it was more like an oath—one that said I was ready to "follow the car’s mysterious path, refrain from rebelling against the GPS overlord, and enjoy the adventure—even if I don’t know where I’m going." This is the essence of the Faroe Islands’ new “self-navigating” car tours, which offer travelers a unique way to explore this remote archipelago.

These tours are designed to let you relinquish control and embark on a spontaneous journey through off-the-beaten-path locations. The itineraries are curated using Google Maps, allowing for a truly personalized experience. There are dozens of different routes available, which can be started from any location, and they take you across all seven islands connected by bridges and undersea tunnels. While the tourism board has set aside specific vehicles for these tours, which can be rented through 62°N at the airport, anyone with a smartphone and a vehicle can access them.

The initiative aims to distribute tourists more evenly across the Faroe Islands, which have become increasingly popular in recent years. Located in the North Atlantic between Iceland and Scotland, the scenic volcanic islands saw over 130,000 foreign visitors in 2023—more than double the number of locals. To prevent overtourism, the government has implemented measures such as closing the country each spring for voluntourism trail work and introducing a nightly tourism tax starting in October 2025.

The self-navigating tours are designed to provide authentic local experiences while encouraging exploration of lesser-known areas. If two people start a route from the same place at the same time, they will receive different destinations. My own trip began in Tórshavn, the capital, where I scanned a QR code on my car's dashboard and was sent to Kirkjubøur, a tiny seaside settlement once known as the religious and cultural heart of Streymoy island. Today, it is home to medieval treasures like St. Magnus Cathedral, a 900-year-old wooden farmhouse, and Olav’s Church, which still hosts services overlooking the sea.

From there, the GPS led me through a nearly seven-mile-long underwater tunnel to Sandur, where I stopped at Bakaríið á Sandi, a former bakery turned corner store. After picking up some snacks, I walked to a black sand beach where waves crashed against the dunes and local kids chased shorebirds. Another day took me to Dalur, a small village framed by mountains rising from the turbulent sea. Most of the stops on my trip were quiet, with few visitors and even fewer locals who paid little attention to my presence.

Another stop brought me to Hoyvíksgarður, an open-air museum offering a glimpse into Faroese farm life, and then to Fuglafjørður, a community nestled in a fjord on Eysturoy’s northeast coast. The last stop before heading back to the capital was a fjord overlook, where I shared the landscape with a group of sheep.

Marta Káradóttir, the communications manager for Visit Faroe Islands, explained that the itineraries are designed to allow for authentic experiences, including a sense of solitude with nature. She noted that while the Faroe Islands are already somewhat obscure, certain spots still get overwhelmed with visitors. The goal is to steer people away from those places and toward more unique, personal experiences.

Despite the lack of control, I found it refreshing to follow the directions and soak in the landscapes: sheep grazing in improbable places, fields dotted with yellow buttercups, and waterfalls tumbling toward the sea. However, there were downsides too. The GPS didn't account for weather conditions, such as fog that made a viewpoint nearly invisible, or meal times, which sometimes clashed with my schedule. Some sites, like abandoned boathouses, might have been skipped had I been in charge.

By the time I returned the car, I hadn’t visited the famous village of Saksun or Múlafossur waterfall. None of the stops would have necessarily ranked high on a “must-see” list, but together, they felt like a more personal and less crowded portrait of the Faroe Islands. For me, that was the real win—the chance to be surprised.

How to Experience It

To participate in the self-navigating tours, book a rental car through 62°N, which offers packages starting at around $1,080 (920 euros) for four nights. You can also visit selfnavigatingcars.com to generate an itinerary that works in any vehicle. These itineraries are suitable for travelers based in the capital, Tórshavn, or those planning a larger loop with multiple homebases. 62°N’s seven-day Highlights of the Faroes trip includes staying in four different villages, though the details of each day remain a surprise.

Post a Comment for "Letting Go on a Self-Driving Journey Through the Faroe Islands"