"Hope's Flame" Revives Faith Through Music and Motion

A New Tradition of Faith and Art
In Christianity, the Lord’s Day is celebrated on Sunday. However, every Saturday morning at Holy Cross Catholic High School, a unique story of faith begins to unfold. This is the setting for “The Flame of Hope,” a musical that aims to reignite faith through song and dance.
Each week, fifty actors gather in the lobby of the Holy Cross gymnasium, surrounded by trophies and pictures that remind them of past athletic achievements. Despite this space being primarily used for sports, it has become the heart of a new holiday tradition.
The Musical: "The Flame of Hope"
“The Flame of Hope” will be performed only once at 7 p.m. on Saturday, December 13, at the Bowie Fine Arts Academy auditorium. Written and composed by Gabriel Yafet, this musical tells a powerful story of hope and faith.
Yafet, who is also known as Mr. Salgado at Holy Cross, recently took over as principal after many years as the head of the Pease Communications and Technology Academy magnet school at Midland ISD. In his creative endeavors, he uses the name Yafet. Growing up in Monterrey, Mexico, he was known for his extraordinary voice.
“I started singing opera at the age of 9 and became a professional shortly after,” Yafet shared after a recent dress rehearsal. “I began as a ‘sopranino’ — or boy soprano — singing at the Metropolitan Opera Company in Monterrey. I had the opportunity to travel the globe performing at concerts and events, and I’ve had the pleasure of singing national anthems for presidents, governors, majors, and mayors.”
Despite his success in music, Yafet’s path took an unexpected turn when he decided to become an educator. More than a decade ago, a non-musical opportunity led him into teaching.
At the time, northern Mexico was facing significant challenges with gang violence and cartel conflicts. Seeking a way out, he attended a Region 4 job fair. “There were a lot of Godcidences that happened,” he said, using the term “Godcidence” as a portmanteau of “God” and “coincidence.”
On the day of the job fair, Yafet had to sing for the governor of Nuevo Leon, which meant he arrived late. When he finally got there, the place was packed. “There were a lot of applicants, and the lines were huge. Houston, Austin, Corsicana, even Midland had long lines. But Midland ISD’s line was a little bit shorter than the others, so I thought I’d have my best chance there.”
However, things didn’t go as planned. “By the time I had interviewed, Midland ISD had already offered all of the available positions they were allowed at the time,” he said. But a kind staffer helped change his life. “Liz Varela liked me and made a few phone calls. A few hours later, she said, ‘OK, I had only five spots, but we’re going to give you one extra spot.’ That wouldn’t have happened without Him.”
For Yafet, faith is everything. “Everything in my life has been God-centered. I’ve been blessed in infinite ways that you know wouldn’t be possible if it were not for God. So I feel that is my job: to praise Him, to spread the gospels.”
The Story Behind the Show
As the flame of hope wanes, people begin to lose faith. At the center of “The Flame of Hope” is Oriel (Olivia Aguilar), an angel-in-training tasked with using her talents to bring people back to Christ through song and dance.
Oriel is mentored by two angels: Gabriel (Yafet) is the messenger; Sonia (Sonia Sebert) is the light bearer. Her mission is challenged by Moxis (Jason Dunlap), a fallen angel who lost hope after the weight of keeping the flame bright became too heavy to bear. He and his minions want silence to reign.
Aguilar, a competitive dancer and student at San Jacinto Junior High School, has never been in a musical before. She moves across the floor in gold-feathered garb and describes the ease at which she dances as being lifted by angels.
“God guides me through the motions,” Aguilar said. Experience may also play a role. At 14 years old, she has danced for 11 years. She also feels deeply connected to the story.
“I like that it’s a heartfelt story about faith and family and guidance and knowing there isn’t just darkness in life and that there is always hope and there’s always a brightness that comes no matter what you’re facing or challenging.”
Yafet has been aided and encouraged to embark on this artistic endeavor by Sebert, his wife, every step of the way. She noted that challenges have been ever-present, but that should be expected when you’re doing something brand new.
“It seems like a lot for just the two of us, but regardless of any roadblock we’ve encountered, we have found people that are ready to help, and that is a blessing,” she said. “It brings light to our journey.”
The challenges themselves are welcome.
“Everything in our lives has been a blessing,” Yafet said. “I see everything as a blessing, both good and not so good things, because things happen for a reason. That's why I'm here, and I hope this show will help people realize they’ve been blessed too.”
Post a Comment for ""Hope's Flame" Revives Faith Through Music and Motion"
Post a Comment