I Test Headphones for a Living – Bose QC Ultra 2 Arrives as My Top Travel Pick

A First-Hand Experience with the Bose QuietComfort Ultra Headphones 2
Sitting here, I’m wearing a pair of Bose’s second-generation QuietComfort Ultra Headphones and enjoying every moment. These headphones have long been considered one of the best options for travel due to their exceptional sound quality, outstanding active noise-cancelling (ANC), compact folding design, and lightweight build. I recently covered the release of the second-gen model, highlighting its key features and upgrades, but now I’ve had the chance to test them myself. Before my full review comes out, here’s what I’ve experienced so far.
Background on the Original Model
I’ve owned the original Bose QuietComfort Ultra Headphones since their launch in 2023. They’ve been a constant companion, traveling with me through various situations and proving themselves time and again. I even used them for an 18-hour flight, which was a testament to their durability and performance. This week, I’ll be using the upgraded version on a long-haul trip, giving me a chance to compare the two models more thoroughly.
One thing that stands out immediately is the color of the headphones I’m using. Instead of the standard black, these are in a shade Bose calls "White Smoke." While I might not choose this color myself, it's a minor point compared to the overall experience.
Exceptional Active Noise-Cancelling
Regardless of the color choice, the moment these headphones are on your head, the audio quality is impressive. Despite their lightweight and somewhat flimsy feel, the soundstage they produce is rich and detailed. But the real standout feature is the ANC.
I’ve tested them in various environments, from busy sound systems to quieter settings, and the way they block out external noise is truly remarkable. Even when there’s music playing from another source, the QC Ultra 2 manages to isolate the user effectively.
Bose claims that the ANC has been improved with the introduction of ActiveSense technology, which can detect how the user’s ear fits into the headphones and adjust the sound profile accordingly. This should lead to more precise noise cancellation, especially in dynamic environments like city streets or airplanes.
Comfort and Additional Features
The QC Ultra 2 comes with a carry case that matches the headphones’ color. This case is a practical addition, offering a neat space for cables and allowing the earcups to fold neatly for storage. Compared to cases from other brands like Sonos, this one feels more refined and durable—something travelers will appreciate.
As for the headphones themselves, there’s little change in design from the original model. The earcup mechanism still moves smoothly, and the soft padding ensures comfort over long periods. There’s no discomfort or pinching, making them ideal for extended use.
Is the Second-Gen Model Worth It?
The price of the QC Ultra 2 is the same as the original model at launch. However, the older version is now available at lower prices, with some great deals on the market. So why pay more for the newer model?
There are several improvements worth considering. The inclusion of a USB-C port allows for high-resolution listening, while battery life has been extended. Additionally, there’s more bass at higher volumes, and subtle but meaningful enhancements to both sound and ANC. These aren’t major overhauls, but for a product that was already near-perfect, any improvement is a welcome addition.
Final Thoughts
It’s still early in my testing, but I’m already impressed with the Bose QuietComfort Ultra Headphones 2. Their comfort, ANC, and sound quality make them a top contender for anyone looking for travel headphones. While the older model offers a more budget-friendly option, the improvements in the second-gen version justify the price for those who want the best.
Post a Comment for "I Test Headphones for a Living – Bose QC Ultra 2 Arrives as My Top Travel Pick"
Post a Comment