Repressed Writer's Journey to Self-Discovery

A Journey of Self-Discovery in "Two Seasons, Two Strangers"
Sho Miyake’s film Two Seasons, Two Strangers follows Lee, a screenwriter played by Shim Eun-kyung, who finds herself at a creative crossroads. Tired of the pressures of her profession, she escapes to a remote village blanketed in snow, seeking solace and inspiration. The film is a quiet yet powerful exploration of personal growth and the struggle to find one's voice.
Miyake, known for his work on The Journalist (2019), has once again captured the attention of audiences with this film. It draws from two manga by Yoshiharu Tsuge, A View of the Seaside (1967) and Mister Ben of the Igloo (1968), blending their stories into a narrative that mirrors Lee’s journey. The result is a cinematic experience that balances natural beauty with emotional depth.
A Unique Approach to Storytelling
The film is structured as a story within a story. After Lee screens the movie she has written, the narrative shifts to follow her real-life journey. This clever device allows the audience to see the connection between her professional life and personal transformation. The film’s success was recognized when it won the Golden Leopard at the Locarno Film Festival, highlighting its impact on the international stage.
Casting Shim Eun-kyung in a role originally intended for a middle-aged Japanese man adds an unexpected layer to the film. Miyake felt a strong connection between Shim and the character, particularly in how she carries herself without trying too hard to impress. This choice gives the film a different emotional tone, allowing for a more authentic portrayal of Lee’s struggles.

A Deep Connection Between Actor and Character
Shim Eun-kyung relates closely to the character of Lee. She shared that the moment she heard Lee say, “I don’t think I have much talent,” she knew she wanted to take on the role. “I often feel inadequate too,” she said. “When I saw Lee admit that so openly, I wanted to play someone with that kind of honesty.”
The film is sparse in dialogue and light on plot, relying instead on atmosphere and Shim’s subtle performance to carry the story. “Because there is so much empty space, I felt free to express whatever I sensed,” she explained. “The movie shows that certain things definitely exist even when you cannot put them into words.”
Miyake joked that he felt lucky to film Shim “doing nothing,” highlighting the power of her restrained presence on screen.

Embracing the Cold and the Unknown
Shim described the wintry setting as instrumental in shaping her performance. “I’ve never stayed at an inn in snowy mountains, so I acted as if I were traveling,” she said. “The inn was really cold, so Lee’s reactions to the cold mix performance and reality,” she recalled with a smile.
Her experience working in Japan, where she faced the challenge of language barriers, made Lee’s doubts feel familiar. “People who fall into a slump and question their own talent will probably see themselves in Lee,” she said.
Lee’s journey takes a turn when she fails to secure a hotel room and ends up at a remote mountain inn run by the enigmatic Benzo, played by Shinichi Tsutsumi. Their tentative bond and the quiet disturbances that ripple through the inn create a dreamlike interlude that gradually restores Lee’s will to write.

A New Chapter in Shim's Career
Shim’s growing presence in Japan has not erased her doubts. She still relates to Lee’s struggle to believe in her abilities. After the success of Miss Granny (2014), she found herself questioning her worth: “Do I deserve this?” She steadied herself by focusing on her love for acting rather than striving to be “the best.” This shift opened the door to smaller films and her career in Japan.
“I realized I had overlooked how to blend into a project,” she said. “I felt endlessly lacking, but now I feel a thrill when I do work I’m satisfied with and see the director look pleased.”

Looking Ahead
Shim has several projects coming up. She appears in NHK’s centennial project Queen of Mars, premiering Saturday, and takes on a contrasting role in the black comedy How to Become a Building Owner in Korea, set to air on tvN next year.
“Instead of mapping out a grand future, I try to do my best each day because I believe that will eventually lead me where I want to go,” she said. “Working on this film reminded me once again how important everyday life is.”

Post a Comment for "Repressed Writer's Journey to Self-Discovery"
Post a Comment