Jenny Han Always Knew the Ending of 'The Summer I Turned Pretty'

Featured Image

A Journey Through the Finale of The Summer I Turned Pretty

Jenny Han, the acclaimed author and showrunner behind The Summer I Turned Pretty, has found herself in a unique position as her popular young adult series concludes. The show, which is based on her own books, has dominated streaming charts since the third and final season launched in July. As the finale approached, social media was abuzz with speculation about which brother the protagonist, Belly, would end up with. This level of engagement highlights the deep emotional investment fans have in the story.

Han, who also created the To All the Boys I've Loved Before trilogy for Netflix, admits that she can’t fully disconnect from the reactions of her audience. “I spent the night on TikTok,” she says during a Zoom call that interrupts her trip to Provence. “I can't sleep the night before an episode drops.” Despite the exhaustion, she feels a responsibility to ensure the story is delivered as intended.

Now that the series has wrapped up, Han is shifting her focus to new projects. She’s working on a feature film, several series in development, and even considering another book. But first, she reflects on the importance of endings and the challenges of navigating such a large and diverse audience.

Understanding the Audience

Han notes that while The Summer I Turned Pretty is marketed as a young adult series, its viewership spans multiple generations. “I’ve been told it's like half Millennial, half Gen Z and younger,” she explains. “Anecdotally, the audience feels very diverse.” She often scrolls through her For You Page and sees a mix of college students and older adults, indicating that the show has broad appeal.

This generational diversity influences how she approaches storytelling. “To me, the only real difference between stories for a YA audience and an adult one is a hopeful ending,” she says. While adults can process complex emotions on their own, Han believes young people need a sense of hope to guide them through life’s challenges.

Defining a Hopeful Ending

A hopeful ending doesn’t necessarily mean a perfect resolution. “The end of Hunger Games is kind of bleak, but it's still hopeful,” Han explains. “They survive, yet they're permanently scarred by war. That's realistic.” She emphasizes that a hopeful ending should provide a sense of closure without being overly simplistic or dismissive of the struggles characters face.

Navigating Changes and Secrecy

Han acknowledges that this season deviates from the original books. “There were certain non-negotiables for me in terms of the things I wanted to keep,” she says. However, she remained open to changes that would enhance the story for the audience. One significant addition was the aftermath of a broken wedding, showing Belly’s growth as she steps into her own and explores new experiences in Paris.

The secrecy surrounding the finale was intense, with Han taking great care to protect the audience experience. “I am very protective of the audience experience,” she says. “I don’t like spoilers or leaks.” Amazon supported these efforts, implementing strict security measures similar to those used for Rings of Power. This approach ensured that viewers could experience the story without prior knowledge of the plot twists.

Managing Criticism and Expectations

Han is aware of the scrutiny her work faces, especially from younger cast members who are new to fame. “We had a lot of conversations about it [in the beginning],” she recalls. “I had been through the To All the Boys release, and it was intense for both of us.” She emphasizes the importance of maintaining a balance between creative freedom and audience expectations.

A Mindset of Preparedness

Han’s constant vigilance and attention to detail have shaped her career. “It's what makes me good at what I do,” she says. “I'm constantly gaming out potential outcomes.” This mindset helps her manage the unpredictable nature of production, ensuring that every aspect of the show is carefully considered.

Reflections on the Final Season

As the series comes to an end, Han reflects on the journey of the characters, particularly Belly’s choice between Conrad and Jeremiah. “I've noticed a lot of older siblings identify with Conrad,” she says. “My younger sister has been Team Jeremiah for a long time.” This division among fans highlights the complexity of the characters and the emotional impact of their decisions.

Han directed an episode focusing on Conrad, a character known for his internal struggles. “He is a very interior character, so I wanted to be the one to do it,” she explains. The visual style of the episode aimed to capture his perspective, offering a fresh look at his journey.

Looking Ahead

Despite the conclusion of The Summer I Turned Pretty, Han remains open to future projects. “If it excites me, I’m open to revisiting the series,” she says. “I love the world, the cast, and the people I work with.”

For viewers, Han hopes the ending conveys a message of self-compassion and resilience. “I’d like for people to leave with a feeling that you can make mistakes but there's always a path forward,” she says. “Even if something is broken, that doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed.”

As the final season of The Summer I Turned Pretty becomes available on Prime Video, Han reflects on a journey that has brought her immense satisfaction. “I feel satisfied to be at the finish line,” she says. “I really tried my best.”

Post a Comment for "Jenny Han Always Knew the Ending of 'The Summer I Turned Pretty'"